Monday, February 1, 2010

A trail of blogs leads to some perspective

Pin It Now! This week my goal has been to put visual reminders of my goals around the house.  Last night I was looking for pictures or ideas to put as my desktop.   One site I visit every so often is Joy the Baker.  I figured maybe I could do a screenshot of her site and use it as my background.  As I was scrolling through her site I found a post about the 2010 bloggie awards.  Basically it is the epitome of awards for the blogging world.  It is broken down into several categories such as cooking, politics, entertaining, most humorous, etc.  I was reading through some of them last night and just so inspired by the creativity of many of the blogs.  People who set out to blog about the things they are most passionate about in life.  I bookmarked the site knowing this would be become one of my visual goal reminders.

The thing about the blog world as I am coming to realize is it is a trail.  One blog leads to another that leads to another  and pretty soon 2 hours have passed.  It can be quite addicting, but also inspiring.

This morning I went back onto the bloggie award site to peruse through some other blogs and found one that I just love, Zen Habits (www.zenhabits.net) It’s going to take me days, probably weeks to read through this guy’s site, but I am so inspired by it.  Now I am interested in not only feng shui, but also zen and eastern philosophy in general.  And I never would have found the site if I hadn’t set out to find visual reminders for my goal.

  After going through Zen Habits I stumbled across a blog by a guy named Marc, http://www.feelgoodeating.blogspot.com/.

His blog post today is so awesome!!  I love it.



Look at the picture taken from space of planet earth and then read the commentary by Carl Sagan

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

-Carl Sagan

 Couldn't have said it better myself.

1 comment:

  1. After reading you site, Your site is very useful for me .I bookmarked your site!

    ReplyDelete