Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mini Oktoberfest

Pin It Now! [caption id="attachment_640" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Town center"][/caption]



What a beautiful day in Germany today.  The sun was out, the air was cool and my town was hosting it’s own Oktoberfest this weekend.  I’m assuming the festival in my town is nothing like the well known Drunkfest Oktoberfest in Stuttgart or Munich.  Much smaller.  Much more calm.  And much more family friendly.  And no Bierleichen (beer corpses a.k.a people who pass out from drinking too much).  Just good food and good beer.  My kinda scene.


[caption id="attachment_620" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Town Square, festival"][/caption]

Hubby wanted to stay home today, so I left the kiddos and a friend and I decided to enjoy a few hours of well deserved mommy time.  This is my friend, Mama with Flavor.


I love my babies.  And she loves hers.

But.

It is nice to enjoy adult conversation and my sanity every so often.

Adult conversation and this...

[caption id="attachment_622" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Paulner"][/caption]

Ahhhhh.


The bartenders told us beer is 90% water.


Ha!  Silly Americans.  We believe anything :)


There was a band playing in the center of the square.  Would you believe me if I told you this band of flutes, clarinets and trombones suddenly went from square dance music to playing Thriller?  Seriously.  They did.  In our small German town on a quiet Sunday afternoon, a band played Thriller to an audience of old people.

And for this guy.


He knew how to get down.  I hadn’t laughed so hard in a long time.


Until we saw this!


Bumper cars!

We were both feeling spontanious and thought what the heck?

Oh my goodness.  

It was sooo much fun.  To feel like a kid again and just laugh and be in the midst of excitement was a really, really good time.


It will probably be the last time I go on a bumper car though.  I’m getting old.

After our beer and bumper car ride excitement it was time to eat.  There were two very strong, succulent aromas consuming the air.  Any festival I’ve been to in Germany has crepe stands.  They smell like warm sugar, vanilla, chocolately heaven.  


The other savory smell was of onions and steak on the grill.  


This too smelled like heaven.

And it tasted like heaven.  It was delicious.

 


 


 


 



 


Of course all good things must come to an end.  It was a wonderful day and this is what I got to come home to


My milk drunk baby.

 


 



And my silly little diva.


And my new cuddly litte....wait.  That's not mine!  But gosh isn't he so darn cute??  I want him.

Until next time.

xoxo-

B

2 comments:

  1. This is EXCELLENT! You captured the day really well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] contest. I didn’t think anything of it until I was going through the pics I took today at the festival (went back for the kiddos this time). As soon as I saw this pic I thought, “PERFECT!” [...]

    ReplyDelete